There are temptations in front of us all of the time. However some foods or ingredients in foods can actually increase appetite. Appetite is really a false sense of hunger. Hunger is actually when your body needs nourishment. It’s important to understand the difference. In addition, appetite is stimulated by habit, smell and stress. Hunger means it is time to eat something that will nurture your body. Appetite is something you need to learn to identify and ignore.
Foods or Ingredients to Avoid!!
- Chewing gum stimulates gastric juice from chewing waking up our stomach. The stomach starts producing gastric fluids creating a desire to eat.
- Diet colas have artificial sweeteners that can actually stimulate appetite because they wake up the sweet taste buds. They make us eat more bad foods with the colas.
- High fructose corn syrup slows down the production of leptin a hormone that tells us when we are full. In addition it interferes with our insulin metabolism and can make us more insulin resistant.
- Chips of any kind are starchy and coated in oils. They will pack on the fat because you can’t eat just one or even just a few.
- Prepared dinners like TV dinners are absent enough calories and nutrition to satisfy our bodies leaving us needing more and craving more so later we actually eat more than we would of if we would of just had a good healthy meal.
- Candies, cookies and pastries blow your blood sugar levels sky high. You body compensates by releasing a lot of insulin, which causes your blood sugar to plummet. This sudden drop of blood sugar triggers other hormones that make you want to eat more sugars to raise it again.
- Sugary drinks, breakfast cereals and breakfast bars are a repeat of candies, cookies and pastries. They raise blood sugar quickly, provide very little nutrition and leave you eating more and more!
- Enriched or any non-whole grain bread is a poor source of nutrients and turns to blood sugar as quickly as table sugar once it enters your body. More cravings and more fat gained.
- Fruit juices (commercially processed bought in stores) have no fiber to slow the absorption of blood sugar causing a quick raise in blood sugar which is going to make you crave more sugar. Additionally they cause cavities.
If you want to lose weight avoid these foods. Eat real foods from the garden!
Wally Bishop C.N.C.
The contents of this blog is not and should not be considered medical advice. This blog is for informational purposes only. Always consult with your doctor before making any dietary or lifestyle changes. Never quit taking prescription medications unless advised to do so by your doctor.
- I’m hungry and I have a BIG appetite! (inthetemple.wordpress.com)
- 10 Things the Processed Food Industry Doesn’t Want You to Know (oneradionetwork.com)