Everyone that needs to lose weight wants to do it the easiest and fastest way. I certainly wanted that as I started my weight loss journey. I sought out every possible means to get rid of the fat other than changing my lifestyle.
Where does exercise fit into weight loss? Well, exercise provides many health benefits beyond weight loss but today lets just talk weight loss and exercise.
My clients vary in nutrition and weight loss knowledge when they first come to see me, which is to be expected. Most think they can exercise two or three times per week and lose weight, it’s not going to happen unless you have been completely sedentary and obese. If you are obese and sedentary any exercise at this point is going to pick your metabolism up and burn more calories. So, if you are not overeating and moving, an obese person may lose weight while exercise two or three times per week.
However, the average overweight or obese person needs activity at least 5 days per week to pump their metabolism up. If they were exercising more and eating healthier they wouldn’t need to lose the weight! I promise, if you exercise for a minimum of 60 minutes per day, 5 days every week and eat within your calorie budget YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT! You see, while really healthy foods provide the nutrition needed to turn fat into energy, the exercise is the fire to consume the fat. It takes both to maximize the fat lose. If you are just beginning to exercise take it slow and get your doctors approval before starting any exercise program.
- If you want to lose weight you need to exercise for a minimum of 1 hour at least 5 days per week. You might be able to do it with less exercise time but the approach I recommend will maximize your weight loss. You may hear that you can do high intensity or interval exercise for 20 minutes 3 times per week and lose weight. If you are moderately overweight and in good physical health, yes it can work. However, once you get down to the last 30 pounds and you have exercised for a while and are fit, then high intensity-interval (anaerobic) training along with aerobic and muscle-building exercise is needed to remove the remaining, unnecessary fat.
- Exercising multiple times per day is very beneficial. Three 20 minute walks will keep your metabolism going longer than walking for one hour.
- Vary your exercise intensity. If walking, take 30 seconds and walk at a faster pace, then walk at your normal pace for a few minutes, then repeat throughout the walk. This also applies to any exercise type such as bicycling or running. You can also increase your intensity by selecting routes that have hills for you to walk, run or bike on.
- Do different types of exercise at different times. Our body adapts to our routines very quickly and will become very efficient. Keep your body guessing by doing your exercise at different times or do a different type of exercise.
- To maximize your weight loss you need to engage in aerobic, anaerobic and muscle-building and toning exercises.
- Many people are turning to cross fit exercise programs. Cross fit includes a variety of exercises that promote a broader range of fitness and reduce the risk of injury from exercise.
My favorite exercise is bicycling. You can make bicycling as intense or as leisurely as you want. It is the perfect exercise (my opinion) because it is very low impact on the joints, can provide aerobic, anaerobic and strength training all in one session. It can be done every day. And it is fun with friends and family!
Exercise can be so fun that you can over do it. Pace yourself, drink adequate fluids with electrolytes and get plenty of rest in between exercise activities.
All exercise is good exercise. Do different exercises and make them fun and enjoyable.
Healthy Wishes for Lighter and Healthier Body
Wally Bishop C.N.C.
The contents of this blog is not and should not be considered medical advice. This blog is for informational purposes only. Always consult with your doctor before making any dietary or lifestyle changes. Never quit taking prescription medications unless advised to do so by your doctor.
- Training And Weight Loss (strengthandfitnesssite.wordpress.com)