It’s that time of year again. Time for all of us to make New Years Resolutions. Almost everyone has some form of health improvement on the list. Losing weight tops the list because almost 70% of Americans are overweight. Next might be adopting a healthy lifestyle so you can lose weight, keep it off and improve your health. One result I can promise you is; If you are not motivated enough and serious enough about your goal the chances of achieving it are slim.
It’s seems around the beginning of March something happens. The wellness warrior becomes the wellness whiner. I notice that the gym has fewer people, my classes get thinner and clients and friends begin to avoid me because they don’t want me to know they are off of the new plan. I am glad they feel a sense of accountability to someone.
This year make part of your New Years Resolution “ I am sticking to the goals I have set”. Really, doesn’t this make sense? Why put all of this effort into your goals for two or three months and then give up.
I am going to tell you how to keep your weight loss goal going forever. I want you to have what I have. I want you to lose all the extra weight you have gained and keep it off forever.
Most goals are never reached because the goal is not important enough, the goal is unrealistic and there was not enough planning.
1) Set your date to begin your change. Get rid of bad foods in your house. Buy healthy foods for meals and snacks.
2) Tell your friends and family what you are doing. This sets up a level of accountability for you. Ask your friends to urge you or even join you in this new lifestyle.
3) Be realistic about your diet and weight loss goals. Set goals for weight loss in 10 pound increments. The first goals is 10 pounds, the second is 10 pounds. Do you get it? This makes the goal very achievable and builds confidence.
4) You must understand your energy requirements. If you eat to many calories or under consume your calories you will not lose weight. Try to eat 500 to 1000 calories less than you actually need. However never eat less than 1200 calories per day. You can use our daily calorie calculator to help you understand how many calories a day you need to eat.
5) Understand that to lose weight you must exercise. If you have not exercised in a long time start slowly and consult with your doctor. If you can only walk for 10 minutes, then walk for 10 minutes and work your way up to at least 1 hour. You can even break up the walking and exercising into 20 or 30-minute sections and do them multiple times per day. This actually keeps your metabolism burning fat at a higher rate for more hours in the day. This translates to faster weight loss.
6) Never deprive yourself of any food. If you must have that brownie eat just 1 and be happy. The next time you eat, it should be healthy. If you eat healthy 80% of the time it will allow you to indulge or splurge 20% of the time. This will keep you happy and help you lose weight by not bingeing.
7) Never beat yourself up for having an unscheduled indulgence. Look at it as a treat because you have done so well. The next time you eat make healthy choices.
8) Eat a lot of plant foods like vegetables, fruits, beans and nuts and seeds. Most are very low in calories and very high in nutrient content. They also have a lot of fiber, which is satiating and filling. However limit your fruits to 2 servings per day. They have a lot of sugar in the form of fructose that can interfere with your weight loss.
9) Limit your grains to whole grains and then even limit those to no more than 4 servings per day. Grains cause cravings and can raise blood sugar levels.
Make sure you drink plenty of water. Water is necessary to breakdown fat and create cellular energy. The general rule is to consume ½ your weight in fluid ounces of water per day. If you weight 150 pounds you would need 75 ounces of fluid per day. If you exercise, are ill or sweat a lot you may need more fluid.
There are two items I use everyday that make this easy for me. First is a product called Vive (rhymes with liv) it is a whole food drink mix that I use twice per day. It is the best tasting shake mix out there and is highly nutritious. The next is my NutriBullet blender. It is engineered to make the nutrients easier to absorb from the blended foods. It makes great smoothies when using the Vive shake mix.
I want you to have great success and I do not want weight loss to not be on next years list unless you’re continuing on the journey. So, please start planning, get excited about the new body you are going to have, the new health you are going to enjoy, the new clothes you get to buy!
It’s simple; plan, execute, do it, lose it, and keep it off by continuing to live a lifestyle of wellness and healthy.
Healthy Wishes for a new year!
Wally Bishop C.N.C.
The contents of this blog is not and should not be considered medical advice. This blog is for informational purposes only. Always consult with your doctor before making any dietary or lifestyle changes. Never quit taking prescription medications unless advised to do so by your doctor.
- How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions (apartmentguide.com)